The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4ws and abs delete?

The more I read on these beautiful machines, the more I here of people deleting the 4ws and the abs. I was just wondering the pro's and con's with both. If someone could school a noob, I'd appreciate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The ABS on these cars is primitive and many people have had spuratic failures (the pedal will go to the floor and nothing happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) Thats why a lot of ppl remove it. That and the pump is 25ish lbs hanging way out in the front and it has a ton of wiring cluttering up the harness. All in all its a 30 something pound weight savings that increases safety and really cleans up the engine bay.
As for keeping it, many peoples work fine and have nothing bad to say about them. Also, it requires either rebending or replacing your master cylinder to proportioning valve and prop valve to both front brake lines, plus a non ABS proportioning valve.

For the 4WS, it turns the rear tires in the same direction as the front over I believe 25mph which can lead to horrible understeer during hard driving. By deleting it, it gives more neutral handling. That and a lot of people have the rear lines go out, and its easier and cheaper to lock out than to replace the lines.
On the other hand, if your planning on doing a lot of cruising on the highway and not so much back road driving, it won't negetively effect your handling and might actually make lane changes smoother in theory. Also, the 4WS was one of the things that makes this car so unique. If your planning on keeping it mostly stock to maintain its value and then it way negetively effect you.

prove_it

Real drifting means understeering.....only to a truly bad ass touge drifter though. I'd kill myself if I tried.

HHIVR4

I personally dont like the 4ws because it turns the same way as the front wheels.It makes the car feel unstable in long high speed corners.Opinions vary but I chose to completely remove it.

As far as ABS goes.I completely removed it also.I should have weighed the stuff I took off but I didnt..There is a substantial weight reduction though.

Hertz

Staff member
It should be ~31 mph and up to 1.5 deg same-phase. It's mechanical/pressure activated, hence the approximate speed.

Only place it works really well is for high-speed lane changes. Beyond that... it's a solution without a problem.

Other symptom of bad ABS (typically when the sensors get buggered up) is erratic ABS actuation (pulsing on dry roads). I had one channel die and the pulsing caused the car to want to steer into oncoming traffic. Quickest way to disable the ABS if you want to try it out, remove the 10mm bolt from under the yellow fuse (the 4 pack, underhood) and pull.

prove_it

What I did on my accord and will be doing with 715 is using a switch in the cabin. That way when it's dry I can use standard braking and when it snows or rains hard I can switch it back on and have that "safety". Personally I feel I can stop better on dry without abs, but on snow abs does better than me.

So I can just pull that bolt, and temperarily delete the abs with no ill effects? Is this a temperary delete, or a long term alternate way? Do I pull the fuse also, or just the bolt? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

the abs is designed to work even if it fails. If you delete it, that is remove all componets of it, then you need to change the lines and such. When you pull the fuse, all your doing is turning off the control module and the system goes into safe mode, which is the same as non abs. You'll set the ABS light and that's all.

Hertz

Staff member
What do you mean safe mode? If you pull that fuse, the ABS pump has no power, therefor no pulsing.

prove_it

I don't know the correct term, but basically all abs systems have a "failsafe mode" in case of an issue. That way your brakes don't fail if your fuse pops. I guess all I'm saying is that killing power to the module and deleting do the same thing. You still have normal braking. Just letting the newbie know that it's safe to just pull the fuse.

atc250r

Staff member
As for deleting those two systems, check in the How-To section. Its been covered in depth over there.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
the abs is designed to work even if it fails.

Wish this were true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Turning it off allows normal brake function is what you mean.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned